Monday, August 25, 200812:59:00 AM CDT
It's been a rainy and hectic day. First there was the puddle of water under the kitchen sink, then there were the puddles of water all over the city. The day started so nice, but in the blink of an eye the rain started pouring and didn't let up. It wasn't the "Seattle Drizzle" that I've grown accustomed to not minding. No, it was a full fledged rain. Like the kind you just stand at with the door open listening to the peacefulness of the raindrops falling and thinking "I'm so glad I don't have to go anywhere today. It's the perfect excuse to have a lazy day at home." Too bad that was not the case for me at all. No, no, no. I had things to do and a plane to catch. I checked my laundry only to find the dryer at the end of its cycle and my load still very wet. Not damp. Wet. Wet and me completely out of quarters. I ran next door to the coffee shop, begged for change, ran back up to the laundry room to put more quarters in the dryer to keep my undies, socks and linens tumbling dry while I ran out to do my errand for the day. I was on a mission and wasn't going to be happy until it was accomplished. I had two hours to high tail it to my destination and back including transferring a buses each way. That could have been risky business since it's usually a crap shot getting a good bus driver on this route who will make sure I get off at the right transfer point. Luckily everything went like clockwork and I made it back to my apartment just in time to pull my still hot clothes out of the dryer, fold them, finish packing them, take the keys next door to the coffee shop where I was supposed to leave them for my apartment owner to pick them up later then drag my seriously heavy luggage over to the bus stop where I had to stand in the pouring rain with no umbrella and no bus stop shelter. Just me and the elements and a jacket held over my head trying to shield myself and my precious package that I ran an errand for today. My backside got totally soaked (as if I was already wet enough from the short journey from one end of the block to the bus stop). Still, I wasn't in a bad mood. Just saturated and wishing that today would have been like EVERY day I've been here since I got off the plane in June. I checked in at the airport and got the shocker of the new extra and/or over 50 pound baggage charge. Twenty five dollars for the second bag and SEVENTY-FIVE dollars for my big suitcase which weighed in at the heavy weight division at a whopping 72.5 pounds. HOLY MOLY!!!! What did I put in there? Gold bars???? Rocks??? Brick bats??? It weighed 50 pounds on the trip out here. How did my luggage gain 25 pounds over summer!
I'm sitting on the plane flying to Denver right now. When I got on the plane someone had already claimed my window seat. I politely said, "I think you are in my seat" and held up my ticket. She wasn't about to move and gave me the "you can sit there" speech. I had just paid a hundred bucks extra for my bags. I wanted my window seat. So I said, "I booked that window seat." Still she sat firm and gave more excuses for not moving. BY that time a line had built up behind me and I wasn't going to be an ass, so I sat down and started to buckle up. Of course, the next couple come to the row in back of me and declare that the two women sitting there are in their seats. Good lord! It's a chain reaction. They weren't going to budge even though one was in the wrong seat and the love birds were not about to let her stay in their seats. Long story short, I ended up sitting with the two ladies and letting the couple have my seat so they could sit together. I've royally cracked up on these two broads. They've been dancing and practicing their exercise routines the entire flight. They are Nia instructors and are coming back from a Nia retreat. I didn't know what Nia was but I've since been informed. It's a cross between martial arts-kick boxing and jazzercising. Anyway, these two high energy women have been jazz handing it up while going back and forth between each others ipods each listening with one ear bud in one ear. They've been shimmying, cha-cha-cha-ing and step ball changing in their seats. I've heard "three and two and one, cha cha cha, and five six seven eight" for the last hour. They've been working out steps to their routines by doing finger movements in the palms of their hands and discussing who they like better- Selena or George Michael- for warming up. Oh, and now they are practicing deep breathing exercises. I'm glad I changed seats. This has been a fun ride :-) Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T
No comments:
Post a Comment