Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Happy Independance Day!

Originally Posted:
Tuesday, July 4, 2006
7:10:00 PM CDT
Feeling Happy
Hearing Star Spangled Banner



One thing I have found surprisingly easy to do at SCAD is make friends. I think a lot of the easiness of it comes from the fact that this is not a suitcase college. In general, students come from all over the world and getting home is not the easiest thing to do whether they are from the US or not. Unlike WKU, students do not head home on Friday and come back on Sunday night. They are in it for the long haul. Most stay the entire quarter, go home for five weeks for winter break and two weeks between winter and spring quarter. Time is another issue. Weekends are used for studying and projects. I'm not kidding. It's Sunday and I'm at Eichberg Hall right now (preparing to do homework) and if I didn't know any different I would think it's a regular week day because so many students are working in their studios right now. This is only summer. I can't imagine what the normal school year is like. This place is probably a regular old hot spot on a Saturday night during the school year.





Anyway--- back to my new friends. I met Kat and Don at graduate orientation. They are from Singapore, but they've worked in England for the past four years. Kat is a registered nurse who took two years off her job to come to SCAD with her husband, Don, while he goes to graduate school (Animation major). She has a cool English accent and cannot work while she is here and so she has a lot of free time on her hands. Taking them, and their friend Kanaku (from Japan), to the beach for fireworks was a fun experience. It was their first trip outside of Savannah. They just looked around at all the wide expanses of land, river, and marshes as we were passing through Whitemarsh Island and asked, "Is this what America is really like?" They were captivated by the openness of it all. Land in Singapore is all used for building so wide open spaces are not common.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails