Originally Posted:
Sunday, May 13, 2007
1:45:00 PM CDT
Feeling Happy
Hearing my homework calling my name. Stop that! I'll get to you when I get to you.
I'm in my own little word here in the Low Country. Since SCAD is on the quarter system, that means I'm eye-ball deep in homework and a little more than half way done with the quarter while the rest of the semester system world is celebrating with graduation ceremonies and preparing for the summer break. It's a little weird to tell you the truth because it's so easy to lose track of time and not realize that I should be gearing up for summer but instead I'm hunkering down to brave the final weeks of classes.
Anywho- the big graduation ceremonies at WKU and U of L took place on Saturday. I watched my students graduate live in real time via the internet which was really nice. Although I sort of napped while the names for all the colleges but my own were read, I did perk up when it was time for the College of Health and Human Services' turn. I waited...and waited...and waited...where are they?...oh lord! they've missed graduation...and waited...did I fall asleep and miss them...and waited...and waited...how many names are they going to read?...and waited...ok! I recognize the Textiles majors, surely the Interior Design majors are next...no?...and I waited some more...last, but not least, pulling up the rear came the ID majors...Lindsay Marion holds the distinction of being the last name read at the 2007 commencement ceremony...I know I've rubbed off on the ID students because I've caught them using some of my favorite phrases and mannerisms, but did they have to pick up on the whole "running on Pace time" thing? Okay, I'm usually a "few" minutes late for class (excuse me- for life!) and I'm usually flying by the seat of my pants but I cover well. Rather than attribute their last in line status to me, I'm going to leave it with "they wanted to savor the moment and stretch leaving WKU out for as long as they could." Yeah, that's the ticket. It was fun to watch them flash the thumbs up sign and wave their diplomas into the camera after they shook hands with President Ransdall. With that, my graduates, I wish you a fond farewell!! Even though, as Sarah Hartley says, "I'll never see you again," I DO plan on seeing you all again and keeping in touch. I'm only the click of a send away.
While the WKU ceremony was taking place, my co faculty, Sheila, was receiving her MA at University of Louisville's commencement ceremony. She sent me a camera phone image which cracked me up because I get frustrated with our own students for being on their phones during the ceremony. Of course, being on the receiving end is exciting because it allows you to share in the moment and I totally got a kick out of it. She said the man conducting the ceremony cursed the whole time and made funny comments when certain students passed through the line. I think a fun graduation ceremony is much better than a dry, serious one. Definitely more memorable! My favorite part of her whole graduation story is about when it comes time to pick up her actual diploma from the registrar’s office. Apparently you go up to a window, give them your name, the lady hits the play button on a boom box and Pomp and Circumstance blasts the airwaves as she hands it over to you. Now THAT is special! I think that's the funniest damn thing ever.
As for my own living situation...well, let's just say that Gabby, my rude neighbor, woke up the bull (me) in the middle of the night one too many times and finally got the horns. Not to give all the details, but Friday night involved about six drunk people in her room whooping it up then leading to a full blown vomit fest in the bathroom complete with the stools from the kitchen on the first floor being dragged upstairs so the pukers could sit around the toilet rather than assume the kneeling position as they pray to the porcelain God. Saturday night at 2:36 am I was awaken by shrill group laughter coming from the other side of the wall at which time I proceed to get up, knock on her door and give her a verbal lashing. Later that day and my housemates caught me as I was coming in the door and said they have had it with her and they know that I am getting the brunt of it. We're having a house meeting on Monday to tell her to shape up or ship out because it's disrespectful to everyone in the house and no one appreciates it. I emailed my landlord about it and he said he would also speak with her and explain the consequences of her actions as pertaining to her lease agreement. Please, let this be it!!!!
This entry has 2 comments:
#2 Comment from tracypace
5/13/07 11:39 PM
A rite? You are stretching it there.
#1 Comment from ssflener
5/13/07 4:18 PM
My daughter called me during the break between both ceremonies, then proceeds to hand Sam the phone. He said, "WHAT ARE YOU DOING WITH YOUR CELLPHONE AT A GRADUATION CEREMONY" Hey its part of the ritual, and a rite.
We're okay...
-
I've failed to post since Christmas. Maybe I'll get around to posting that
yummy dessert recipe here soon...I'm sorry.
I just wanted to let what I'm sur...
15 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment