Originally Posted:
Tuesday, July 4, 2006
1:28:00 PM CDT
Thurs. Jun 17
My car is packed to the brim and I'm ready to go!
In lieu of our usual family vacay to Sea Grove Mom and Kelly drove with me to Savannah, stayed several days the flew back to Evansville. We stopped in Nashville on the way and had dinner with Courtney, Jenn and Cory (Courtney's boyfriend). It was great seeing them. They filled us in on all their happenings and mis-happenings. (Ps- Courtney---Mom and Kelly liked Cory. "He's a nice guy and so personable.")
Fri Jun 18
The original plan for our trip was to stop in Atlanta to visit the new aquarium, but I did not order tickets in time so we went on to Plan B which was also known as the Make It Up As You Go plan. I slept from Nashville to Chattanooga and when I woke up we were making our way up Lookout Mountain to Ruby Falls. Now, if you are like me, you've heard of these places, but never really thought twice about where they are or if they really exist. Once you start the trek up Lookout Mountain, you go back in time to about 1950 when going to historic sites and national parks was a kick-ass family vacation. Turns out that Ruby Falls is an underground waterfall and cave system. We didn't take the tour. Next stop: Lookout Mountain. Another few minutes of driving and we landed at the highest observation point on the Mountain. You can see seven states from there. I didn't know what I was looking at. From this point you can take a ride on the world's steepest passenger railway. The Incline Railway runs on a track with a 72.7% grade. I don't like rollercoasters or water rides that go straight down. No chance that I'm going to like this! We didn't take the ride. Next stop: Rock City. I've seen the painted barns all over the United States and I guess I just thought it was just some sort of folk art thing. Nope, it's a real place and I can say that I've been there (or atleast to the parking lot...again, we didn't take the tour). Rock City is...well...a city of rocks, or, excuse me, geologic formations. Basically you pay $15 to walk around and look at massive rock formations and plants. Ouuu wee, hold me back! I need some excitement like that in my life. The best/worst part of Rock City is the hokey costumed characters they have at the entrance. Poor Rocky's (the mascot, of course) outfit looked like it was made of dryrotted felt with cut out felt letters across his chest. (You, too, can enjoy the sights at www.seerockcity.com www.lookoutmountain.com www.rubyfalls.com)
After the Lookout Mountain detour we ventured on to the Chattanooga Aquarium. We were going to see fish one way or another. I must say, the Chatt. Aquarium is really nice. The Monterey Bay Aquarium sets the bar as far as aquariums go in our book, but we were nothing less than impressed with this one. The aquarium has two buildings (ocean vs. regional/lake) and even though I like the ocean side much better, the regional side was cool becasue it had a lot of turtles. Mom was not as enthused with Chattanooga's sea otters because they acted like water rats compared to Monterey's well behaved, commical otters.
We made it to Savannah around 11:30 pm and hit the hay.
No comments:
Post a Comment