Sunday, April 19, 2009

I've entered Geekdom

I've officially reached the point of being a CAD geek. What am I using as the measuring stick for this milestone? The fact that I got very excited when I found a blog called Do-U-Revit tonight. And not only was I elated, I subscribed to it using Google Reader so I can read the riviting Revit articles such as "Scheduling the Unscheduable" right when they are published. Seriously, this is good stuff to me! I just admited being a geek so it won't hurt if you call me one.

If you don't know about Google Reader and are a regular reader of blogs, I highly recommend using it. Rather than you going to to blogs, the blogs come to you. New entries are delivered to your reader and, if you use iGoogle (again, highly recommended for super easy management of bookmarks, calender, blog reader, gmail, outside email subscriptions and lots more) then you can add the reader gadget and all the new entries pop up when you log in. Easy peasy.



My igoogle screen. All my good stuff shows up here and I can access it from any computer, any where, any time.Back to being a geek...I've been an Autocad user since the early 1990s when it was still a DOS based program. I'm a typer not a clicker (those who grew up on the earlier versions of Acad know what that is), and making a jump to Revit was, and still is a challenge. Revit is super cool, but the commands are often buried deep within dialog boxes. To put what it's like getting to the command I want to get to, I'll qoute Buddy from Elf about his trip from the North Pole to New York, "I passed through the seven levels of the Candy Cane forest, through the sea of swirly twirly gum drops, and then I walked through the Lincoln Tunnel." That sums it up right there. So, any user friendly tips and tricks I can find on using the program is like gold to me. I need real words and pictures, not Revit jargon from the help menu to answer my questions. Now you know why I'm "geeked up" about the Do-U-Revit blog. It's going to help me get to the Lincoln Tunnel.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails