Tuesday, September 23, 2008

America's Next Top Architectural Model

Originally Posted:
Tuesday, July 4, 2006
6:42:00 PM CDT



Here's the thing about SCAD- they rule in self-promotion. Because their "campus" is spread out all over the historic district and slightly beyond you cannot walk down any block without seeing SAVANNAH COLLEGE OF ART AND DESIGN smacked on the front and/or side of a building. Don't get me wrong, the signage is tasteful, but it's everywhere. Alumni who open businesses are encouraged to post a "SCAD Alumni" sticker on their storefront window. Students do not wear a lot of SCAD apparel, but their cars have SCAD bumper stickers. A rolling advertisement. Speaking of rolling advertisements, the SCAD buses are wrapped in student work. Each bus has a different image (one has a cartoon strip from the school of sequential art, one has a game character from the school of interactive game design, etc...). There are a number of galleries scattered around downtown for student exhibits. Graduate students are constantly rotating their thesis shows in and out and the gallery openings are more of an event. From overhearing my fellow classmates talk, they all get excited when a gallery opening happens and make it a Friday night thing to do. The photos I took are of the architectural models on display at the Jen Library. In addition to the models, there are student paintings on the walls, a large wall of monitors that run a loop of student work, and the special area of SCAD student/alumni/faculty publications. I think it's very cool how the students, along with the public, are exposed to the variety of work SCAD produces. There seems to be a genuine understanding and respect among students for their fellow student's major.





This entry has 2 comments:

#2 Comment from tracypace
7/9/06 5:59 PM
It's a model of a shopping center. I thought the "I shop" sign was totally funny!

#1 Comment from ssflener
7/9/06 1:01 PM
I love the "I shop" therefore "I am"

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails