Thursday, September 25, 2008

Christmas 2006

Originally Posted:
Thursday, December 28, 2006
3:23:00 PM CST

Christmas is not my favorite holiday. That statement sounds like crazy talk to a lot of people, but that's just the way it goes. I'm not like Scrooge or the Grinch when it come to Christmas. It's just that somehow the holiday brings out the worst in people, me included. I try to have the Christmas spirit...I put money in the Salvation Army Bell Ringer's buckets when I pass by, I buy books for children on the wish tree at Barnes and Noble and I bake lots of cookies. Lots and lots of cookies. However, as hard as I try, I get really bummed by the whole idea of what Christmas has turned into. It's been a commercialized buying extravaganza ever since Coca-Cola introduced their warm fuzzy version of Santa Claus mid-century, but at least back then people still knew that something as simple as an orange in a stocking had meaning and was a special treat. So, that's my beef with Christmas.


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails