Tuesday, September 23, 2008

I don't have a horse in that race

Originally Posted:

Sunday, July 9, 2006

11:21:00 AM CDT

Feeling Happy

Hearing Chatter from ID students working in the studio

I found out why SCAD is not FIDER accredited. It's simple--- they have not applied! You can't win if you don't play.


Earlier this week I met with my faculty advisor who happens to be one of the professors for the Habitat Studio I'm taking. We had a nice, long talk about how I can continue to take classes at SCAD, her career, SCAD's program and FIDER. It turns out that she taught at University of Kentucky for twelve years before moving here four years ago. Her thoughts on UK's program are just what I suspected: Since the program has been reworked, they are so caught up in theory, concept and research that students do not gain practical skills through their education. Faculty and students are snobby and are so totally into the IDEA of design rather than the implementation of it that they've lost sight of what it takes to be a marketable graduate. I'm so happy that I was able to go to SCAD this summer and did not end up taking classes at UK. Prof. Brooks said that the energy in SCAD's program is so high and the students are so dedicated (I've known that since I visited the school last Feb.--- these students ooze dedication and energy) that it makes it easy for them, as teachers, to take on big projects and get over the top results.
SCAD is currently in the self-review process of the FIDER application. It turns out that they applied about ten years ago and were denied accreditation. Apparently the denial had to do with personalities clashing between the two organizations and it has taken this long to recover from a bad review. Now, SCAD has two professors who serve as FIDER site visitors (+ Prof. Books used to be a site visitor) and their program and faculty have entirely changed. She said that she's confident that they will pass their review in 2007.
We might have worked out a plan for my continuation within the MFA program. Since I have not mastered the super power of being in two places at once, taking courses in Savannah and teaching in Bowling Green at the same time poses a problem. Prof. Brooks and I came up with a list of courses that I could take in the spring and summer quarters that wouldn't interfere (too much) with WKU's schedule, which courses could be completed on line and which courses I could complete in BG or Evansville (the two internship requirements). The only problems will be the studios only offered in the fall. However, she said that if they know far enough in advance that they will need to offer a summer course, it can be arranged. Cool! Now, the only hurdle left to clear is finances. SCAD is pricey. Full-time undergrad fees for three quarters (One school year= Fall, Winter, Spring) for tuition, housing and meals totals about $33K. That does not include supplies, books, laundry money, etc. I've found most students are either here on scholarships, in debt up to their eyeballs or have wealthy parents. I'm not willing to go into debt and I'm a little beyond the point in my life of relying on my Mom for financial support so that leaves the scholarships/fellowship route. I've contacted the financial aid office to see what scholarships are available. I'm crossing my fingers that something turns up :-)

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails