Thursday, September 25, 2008

I'm a model, you know what I mean, and I do my little turn on the catwalk

Originally Posted:
Friday, June 29, 2007

6:55:00 PM CDT
Feeling Silly
Hearing the VH1 Monterey Music Festival show interviewees talk about what a life altering experience it was


Howdy do!

TGIF!!! Two weeks down, eight to go. Summer is already flying by. The past two nights the locusts have been buzzing which is always a signal to me that summer is starting on the down slope.

Let's see, what have I been up to? Well, I've been in school for two weeks and so far I've almost finished one group project in my Studio class, come to the conclusion that my Revit teacher is a pompous ass and I'm on my own to learn the software which I don't expect to go too well, and that I like the lighting class even though our professor has a flair for the dramatic and talks like William Shatner. In. Sentences. With lots of. Long. Pauses. Between words. I'm still peeling and itching from the sun poisoning incident of my Florida vacation and my internship is about as exciting as watching paint dry. The most excitement I've had connected to my internship is my Monday morning experiment of getting there using the free shuttle system that runs between a pick-up spot at my classroom building and another stop half a block from where I'm interning for the summer so I don't have to pay $6 per day for parking in the courthouse parking garage which has me sharing the elevator with people with extreme b.o. who are headed to a court date. I tried the shuttle once. That was enough. Getting there was okay since the morning riders were people going to work and didn't seem too crazy. Of course, the afternoon crowd was on the opposite end of the spectrum. I got to listen to a lady's cell phone conversation about her sister and "she baby's daddy" for the entire time while her snot oozing kids wiped their gooey hands all over the place. Six bucks a day suddenly seemed like a fair price to pay for limited germ and disease exposure and twenty extra minutes of sleep that I can get by not needing to be at the bus stop promptly by 7:35 am. In other words, life is normal here.





On Thursday we got to make models in Lighting Design class. We partnered up and had two hours to do the work. The project was a little on the 3rd grade science project side of lameness, but it was also on the semi-cool side. Khyati and I worked like a well oiled machine churning out our foamcore cuts and gluing the parts together. She and I are pretty excited because we're going to go through the safety training to use the shop so we can use the laser cutter and all the saws and stuff to make a real luminaire (lamp) for our final project. Can't wait! We'll have moved up from 3rd grade science projects to, like, 8th grade shop class projects by the end of the quarter. Big stuff is ahead!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails