Tuesday, July 4, 2006
1:28:00 PM CDT
Saturday, June 19
I went through the orientation hoops starting at 8:30 am this morning. I got my ID card, a parking pass, and received advising for courses I was already enrolled in. After that we moved my stuff into my dorm room. Since I'm only here for ten weeks I only brought the essentials so moving in was a breeze. The dorm I'm staying in was formerly a Howard Johnson hotel so the rooms are a little bigger than a regular dorm room (but not that much bigger). For some bizarre reason SCAD seems to think they can fit three people per room. No joke- 3 people in a room. Dorm rooms come with a bed which can be bunked, a drafting table, stool and three drawer dresser for each person. Since I had the room to myself I was pretty excited about having three drafting tables to work off of. We rearranged the room, got my clothing hung up, put all my beach stuff in a drawer, made my bed with my brand new birthday quilt my sister made then made a list of extra things that I needed from Walmart. That took us all of one hour. The rest of the afternoon was spent in grad student orientation meetings.
One of the most interesting parts was the "let's tell you how great SCAD is" session. Here's what I got from it:
- Kipplinger's rated SCAD as one of the top 25 hottest colleges and the #1 hottest college to study art.
- SCAD started in 1978 with 35 students and now has around 7,000. SCAD is located in Savannah, but they also have a campus in Lacasse, France and in 2005 they added SCAD Atlanta.
- SCAD students were the first students to respond to Hurricane Katrina relief efforts. They were also the first to pair with the National Trust for Historic Preservation to work on saving historic buidlings in New Orleans by assisting with recovering building contents and doing damage inventories.
- Video students produced two music videos that were aired on MTV.
- Vera Wang was honored at the 2006 fashion show.
- The annual film festival brings in such big names as Steven Speilberg, Sharron Stone, Roger Ebert...to review (and recruit) student work
This entry has 2 comments:
#2 Comment from tracypace
7/9/06 6:04 PM
Gosh, that sounds like the DWR champagne cork chair challenge. Where are we going to get all those corks? Get to drinking...
#1 Comment from ssflener
Love the dress, now I have a goal to drink enough for the umbrellas
No comments:
Post a Comment