Tuesday, July 21, 2009

And Bingo was her name-o


It's summer social season here in Indiana. Most of the catholic churches put some sort of fundraising social together each summer. Some have lots of food booths and rides while others focus on drawings for prizes. The one thing they all have in common? Bingo. I can't help but think of my oldest friend Crystal's grandma when the subject of bingo comes up.

Grandma Edna was some sort of professional bingo shark. Sounds impossible, but I'm telling you, the woman never came home from the bingo with an empty pocketbook. Crystal moved to another school district when we were in grade school so on some weekends we would spend the night at her grandparents who lived a few blocks away from me. While Edna and Wert (I have never known where the nickname Wert came from. Her grandpa's name was Vernie. Anyway...) and some of their friends went to the weekly Friday night bingo at the VFW, Crystal and I would watch movies, call friends, and try to stay out of trouble. A little after 11 the bingo crew would come through the door with a celebratory box of donuts bought by the person who won the big pot of the night and for the next hour or so the kitchen table was the center of stories and laughter.
As I said, it's summer social season, so today we spent an enjoyable afternoon waiting for B-15 to be called so Mom could win a whopping big pot of $4.80. BINGO! Yea, she's a big time player all right.




No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails