Okay, so back in June when it was my sister's actual birthday, I made her birthday cake. When Mom and I agreed that a trip to the quilt/flower show was going to be her big present, I thought it would be fun to decorate the cake and make her guess what we were doing. The only problem was that at the time the temperature in Evansville was hovering in the high 90s with a heat index in the low 100s. That wasn't a problem for baking the cake, but it wreaked havoc on the icing. The original plan was to do a little Amish scene/diorama on top. That WAS the plan. What ended up on top of the cake was a single barn and writing after scraping off the blobbed up mess of melted flowers. Only the barn didn't look like a barn. Well, it sort of looked like a barn (I was using Amish Acre's round barn for reference). Actually, it looked like a Fischer Price Little People's barn made of plastic that got set too close to the fireplace and melted into a Salvadore Dali-esque painting of a barn. The window lines dripped, the door lines dripped, the red barn wood lines dripped. Leaky faucets drip less than the icing on this cake, I'm telling you. I cleaned it up the best I could then put it in the refrigerator to chill all the drips in place.
The next morning Kelly and I were supposed to tackle cleaning out the garage to get ready for our upcoming yardsale. She saw the cake in the refrigerator, got it out, held it up for a closer look, and asked why there was a hut on it. A HUT. Yes, Kelly, I put a hut on your cake. Like that would make any kind of sense. It's a BARN!!! I said like that was supposed to make complete sense! At this point in the conversation Mom suggested we go ahead and celebrate her birthday with goodies, gifts, and cake. Great way to start the day, I should say! She liked the idea of going to northern Indiana and loved the cake--- hut or barn--- it didn't matter. It was a DAMN GOOD cake!!!

No comments:
Post a Comment