This picture reminds me of the funny squirrels that used to call our backyard home. Chip and Dale (yes, I know C & D were chipmonks, but it's close enough) used to spend hours upon hours running back and forth from the tree in the back yard, over the roof to the tree in the front yard. On quiet Sunday mornings I would lie in bed and listen to woosh, woosh (squirrels jumping from limb to limb), thump (landing on the roof), tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap (they are little..it takes a lot of steps to run across a roof), woosh (jumping onto a tree limb in the front yard). Sometimes in the middle of all the tap tap tapping, I'd hear a thud! and roll, roll, roll, then really fast tap tap tapping. That was the sound made when they'd drop one of their nuts on the way either to or from being burried in our flower beds. If I was really quite I could watch them in the act as they chased each other about. But, if they knew they were being watched they would stop what they were doing and just sit there as if they'd been caught with their hand in the candy jar.
My husband and I were exploring Lake Minnewanka in Banff
National Park-Canada when we stopped for a timed picture of the two of us. We had our camera set up on some rocks and were getting ready to take the picture when this curious little ground squirrel appeared, became intriqued with the sound of the focusing camera and popped right into our shot! A once in a lifetime moment! We were laughing about this little guy for days!!
Photograph by Melissa Brandts submitted to National Geographic's Photo of the Day.

No comments:
Post a Comment