Thursday, September 25, 2008

It's-a-snowin'

Friday, February 2, 2007

10:02:00 PM CST

Feeling Ecstatic

I love snow! Today was the first day this winter that we've had measurable snow. It was exciting! I woke up this morning, lazed in bed listening to the local weather guy talk about school closings as I tried to break into a conscious level rather than the "my alarm went off, but if I keep my eyes closed I can pretend I'm still asleep even though I need to get up" semi-coma-like state. School closings? What? No way? Those two words caught my attention and officially woke me up. I peeked out the window and saw a yard, trees, shrubs, and fence totally blanketed with a layer of white, fluffy snow. It was beautiful! When I got to campus at 7:50, people were having snowballs fights and romping through the snow covered lawns like celebrating 8-year olds given the day off from school (WKU's classes were not cancelled).


Most all of the snow had melted by the late afternoon when I headed back to my car after classes. However, there was one last surprise to make my day. Of all the new "art" pieces added to campus this year, it's the one that popped up today that made me stop and smile. Near the Bell Tower on South Lawn stood a happy snowman complete with perfect carrot nose, twig arms and about 50 mini-snowmen surrounding it. It was perfect! As I stood there looking at it and chuckling to myself with the thought of who knows how many people out on South Lawn so inspired by our one snow of this winter to create this joyous looking figure, I overheard numerous passersby commenting on how great the snowman was. So, to whoever sculpted our frosty friend, thank you for reminding me (and others) that the simple things in life can still make us happy!!!

Sorry about the quality of the picture. I only had my camera phone to capture the moment.



No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails