Tuesday, September 23, 2008

My First Day of School and My New Surprise Roomie

Origianally Posted:

Tuesday, July 4, 2006

1:30:00 PM CDT
Feeling Happy

Monday, June 21

Mom and Kelly dropped me off at Eichberg Hall this morning before entertaining themselves for a while as I attended my first class. They got a grand tour of the building to see for themselves the level of work the Building Arts programs produce then headed off to the bookstore.


After class I tracked down The Fam and we headed back to my dorm room. There was a piece of paper stuck to my tv from my new, suprise roomate. Grrr....This can't be right. I was told I would have a private room for the summer. What is going on here? And the worst part of it--- the note was written in a very bubbly handwriting that had an upbeat tone to it. Great. She's perky. Can't wait to meet her. Grrr...

We quickly condensed all my stuff from dresser drawers and rearranged everything in the dorm room to accomodate a second person so Adrian (new roomie) could move her stuff in when she got out of class that afternoon. After that we headed downtown to stand in line to get reservations at the Lady and Sons restaurant then we went to Tybee Island for a few hours of relaxation on the beach. It was so nice to sit on the swing at the beach and just do nothing for a while.

On the way back into town we stopped at my dorm to see if Adrian was there so I could meet her. Walking down the hall I could hear music blairing from my room. Great. I opened the door and there she stood--- all I could think is, "Thank goodness! She only has a nose ring, a chin piercing and several ear piercings." Seriously! This was a relief! By SCAD standards, this was as "normal" as it would get. No blue hair. No dreadlocks. No full body tatoos. Just a few extra holes in her head.

After meeting Adrian we headed out to make our 8:45 reservation at the Lady and Sons. We didn't know what to expect as far as the menu offering other that "sourthern cooking." We went just to appease all of Mom's friends who told her they watch Paula Dean on the cooking channel and she HAS to go to her restaurant. The general consensus was that we've had better food at Kentucky Fried Chicken. If you come to Savannah, skip the Lady and Sons. It's not worth the hassle and wait to get a reservation.

Tuesday, June 22

I've been staying with Mom and Kelly at their hotel since we arrived in Savannah because it's easier to coordinate using the car and getting around. We took Mom to the airport to return home today then went back to my dorm room to pick up clothes. Apparenlty my roommate was a busy little bee putting decorating her half of the room last night. There is quite a contrast between my minimalist-just here for 10 weeks-ric rac-and fringy ball trim-look and her Los Dias De Los Muertos (Days of the Dead)-black and white photos of cemetaries-everything black and purple-look.


Wednesday, June 23

Since we have a third bed that is not being used in our dorm room Kelly is staying with Adrian and me until she leaves on Sunday. This was my first night in the dorm and the first time I've had more than a passing moment to really meet my roommate. It turns out that she is very nice.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails