Friday, September 26, 2008

Firefly Jewelry

Originally Posted:
Tuesday, July 22, 2008

2:08:00 PM CDT

Feeling Pleased

Hearing Coldplay's What If

There’s a line of jewelry that I’ve ran into a few times in Seattle that has really caught my eye. Other than rings and an occasional bracelet, I’m not a big wearer of jewelry, quite frankly, because I’m not graceful with it. Earrings hurt, necklaces always get caught in my hair or twisted about, and bracelets get in the way of working on a computer all day because my wrist clangs and bangs the keyboard when I’m wearing one so I just end up taking it off the minute I sit down at my computer. So that leaves rings as my vice. Quite a few years ago I started buying rings from local artisans/shops from my favorite travel destination as my “nice” souvenir. No t-shirts, no fridge door magnets, no snow globes--- I’d rather have something I can wear and look at and be happy about. Ask me where I got a ring and I’ll probably tell you about my vacation and “this little shop where I found it.”

Back to Firefly…I’ve been to a few shops featuring local artisans in Seattle and I keep seeing this line of jewelry called “Firefly” that I’m really taken by. My sister even treated herself to a set of their works as a birthday present on her recent visit. The shop in Wallingford Centre (where Trophy Cupcakes is…great jewelry and exceptional cupcakes…a shopper’s dream!) that I last ran into the Firefly line told me a little bit about the makers which made me appreciate them even more. It’s a fair trade group from Guatemala that employs women and ensures good working conditions for them. So, if you are in the market for a unique piece of jewelry and want to support a workshop of indigenous people, I recommend Firefly. Check them out at
http://www.fireflyjewelrydesigns.net/aboutUs.html


You can see some of their pieces online at Fireworks Gallery (in Seattle). I’ve found a few places online that carry their line, but since I’ve been to this store in person and like everything they carry, I’ll put their url up for you to look through.
http://www.fireworksgallery.net/

Happy shopping!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails