Thursday, September 25, 2008

The Heat is On With My Housemates

Originally Posted:

Sunday, April 8, 2007

4:16:00 PM CDT

Feeling Frustrated

Hearing Tool Time...always funny!



Week two in my hovel (thank you, Sheila, for finding such a precise word for my humble abode) and my second floor housemates and I are having a battle over the thermostat. It's an hour by hour war waged over turning the damn thing off and then on again. Here's the situation--- The temperature dropped this week (as everyone in Indiana and Kentucky knows since they are dusting frost off the Easter eggs), and it's been a little chilly here in the otherwise warm/hot location of Savannah. It's sweatshirt weather to me. It's brisk in the mornings, sunny and beautiful in the afternoons, and a bit chilly at night. I've found that if I turn the heat on, it only needs to be on for a very short time before my little room turns into a sauna. It's a 9'6" x 10' space with a ceiling air vent. A lighted match could heat my room. Anyway--- I've found Gabby, the girl living in the room directly next to mine A. Likes to stay up all night and sleep until noon, B. Likes to have friends over between the hours of 11 pm and 3 am during the week and weekend, C. Likes to leave her door open at night so she and her friends can go back and forth between her room and the girl's room who lives on the other side of her and D. Likes to jack the heat up. My second floor housemates all have much larger rooms than me and claim that it is difficult to heat the rooms so they HAVE to crank the heat up when it gets so cold outside. Okay, it's not COLD outside. It's chilly. It's the kind of weather where, yes, the air inside might be a bit chilly, but adding another blanket when sleeping will take care of the problem. So, last night at 3:30 am I awoke with a sweat soaked shirt and feeling like I was in an oven so I stumbled to the hall and turned the heat off then went back to bed. At 4:30 I woke up with no blankets on me thinking "what are my legs laying on that is so hot that it's uncomfortable to touch?" I realized that it was my bed. The heat was back on, going full blast and making the surface of my bedding hot to the touch (really- it felt like I just pulled my blankets right out of the dryer). Once again I got up and turned it off. 5:30 am rolled around and damned if the heat was not on yet again. Up I go, off it goes, back to sleep I go. At my6:30 am heat wave wake upcall I found a note stuck to the thermostat informing me to not keep turning the heat off because the big rooms are cold and that I should close my heat register vent if I am hot. I found Gabby and company and our other neighbor, Tarin, piled up on her bed asleep with their doors wide open. So, I turned the heat off and went back to bed. When I finally got up for real, I wrote a reply to Gabby that I understand that the larger rooms are difficult to heat, and if I can find a way to reduce the output of my vent that I will glady reduce it, but that she should also be considerate of me and how my room turns into a sweltering hot box. I recommended that she close her door to keep the heat in. When I left the house at noon, Gabby and Co. was still asleep, but when I returned at 3 pm, the heat was going full blast once again, not a sole was upstairs, and a note was left on my door telling me that she and the other two girls on the second floor had a meeting and agreed that the heat should be left on no matter what because their rooms were cold. I turned it off again.

This entry has 1 comments:

#1 Comment from ssflener

4/10/07 10:38 PM
I love that they had a meeting and have agreed that the heat should stay on all the time. Rather facist group there your living with!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails