Friday, September 26, 2008

Kat, we're in row J at Trustee's theatre, where are you!!???

Originally Posted:
Thursday, May 29, 2008

10:55:00 PM CDT

Kat and Don invited us to the screening of Don's thesis film as part of the School of Animation's big viewing of all the thesis films. Kat called Kelly and me on our way there to let us know that they'd saved seats for us in Row J. Great! Thanks! See you soon.


So, we get to Trustee's Theatre and after passing Ghazal, Goli and Edison in the back of the theatre and explaining that Kat is holding seats for us up front, we scooted on down the aisle. Just as were nearing row J, the lights go out and we have to rush to find a seat. Row J was fairly empty at the moment and we didn't see Kat or Don, so we got settled in and watched the first film. Not an animation film, but it was sort of funny. Still looking around, we can't find Kat or Don. The next film comes on. Uhhh...okay...it's another film...not an animation...and it's dark and very "art schooly." Hmmmm? What's going on here? This doesn't seem right. Kelly looks at me; I look at her, and we both shrug our shoulders. Third film starts. It's shot in black and white with title pages in between scenes like the old Charlie Chaplin films. Only, this wasn't funny. Far from it. It was stupid! By this time Kelly and I KNOW we are in the wrong place, so I tried to call Kat--- no answer. I sent a text message--- I'm in row J at Trustee's Theatre- where are you? No sooner than I hit send did Ghazal call. She said, "This is horrible! We want to leave! Meet us in the lobby." So, Kelly and I sneaked out and met them in the lobby. We all had looks of "What the hell was that!?!" on our face. All I can think is that all the parents sitting in the audience must have been thinking, "I've spent $120,000 for four years of school PLUS paid for the production of this film and THIS is what you have to show for it!!"

Giving it one last shot, we decided to round the corner to the Lucas Theatre and see if that's where the animation screenings were. YES! We found it! People were laughing and clapping and having a good time. Damn! We've been watching crap and the whole time we could have been watching good animations. Lucky for us, we made it just in time to see Don's film. While standing in the aisle we watched one film, then his came on. Yay! We made it!!! And it was good!!!





After the screening we went to Thursday Night Potluck because it was Edison's birthday. We surprised him with a cake, and he surprised us with the most gracious speech thanking everyone for thinking of him then we took a moment of silence to remember all of the people in his country of China as they recover from the earthquake that happened a week before.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails