Sunday, March 8, 2009

Painting the town green

Kiss me Blarney Stone...It's beginning to look like St. Patrick's Day around Savannah. Savannah has the second largest St. Patty's Day festivities next to either Chicago or New York, I'm not sure which. On Friday, March 6 the Grand Marshall of the annual parade cut the ribbon and the city celebrated the "greening of Forsyth fountain." There was a run Friday night where most of the participants were dressed in green or had some sort of funny green accessory (wig, hat, sun glasses) and on Saturday I was welcomed to the parking lot at my school building at 12 pm by a huge mass of bar crawling revelers getting ready to go get their drink on. All were dressed in outrageous costumes (one of them is in the picture above) and very, very excited about a whole day of soaking their livers in some good ol'Green Ale. My friends and I saw the group later that night and they were still going. Not walking so well, but certainly having a good time.

Businesses have green themed window displays, shamrocks have been planted around the fountain in Forsyth Park, holiday wreaths adorn house doors, and some people and buildings have replaced their regular outdoor lighting with green bulbs for an accent. Oh yeah, Savannah is all about St. Patrick's Day.

And to think...this weekend was just the start. Considering there are still nine days to go before the actual big day, next weekend is going to be crazy! Thankfully my friends from school and I are heading out of Savannah for Spring Break on Friday and will miss the worst of it. I won't be green with envy of those who are sticking around for St. Patty's.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails