Monday, March 16, 2009

So sad, so happy

This is going to be a really, really short post because just I want to type up the highlights of the day while I'm still euphoric from laughing so hard and really don't want to spend much time analyzing the details, and I'm trying not to spend my vacation in front of a computer screen. That's not what vacations are for.

My school friends and I are in Washington, D.C. for spring break. Today we went to two museums and experienced every emotion imaginable. We started at the National Holocaust Museum and ended at the National Air and Space Museum.
The Holocaust Memorial Museum...what can I say. Before going to the museum it made me ill to think of the atrocities of Hitler's regime and what happened during his reign over Nazi Germany, but the museum added a whole new level of sickness to my limits. I was, like, physically nauseous when we exited the museum. What a powerful experience this museum was. By the end of the 3+ hours we'd spent traveling the museum re-creation made to assimilate what the Jewish people of Germany went through from encampment to death, I wanted to puke. I'll be typing more about the museum when I return to school and have time. (And no! I never tossed my cookies!) I just wanted set up the contrast of how the day started with how it ended.

By the time we got to the Air and Space Museum later in the afternoon we were spent. We'd only been to one stop on the National Mall, but our brains were overstimulated globs of mush. We needed food and a break from all the gloom and doom. The Air and Space Museum was just what the doctor ordered. Of all the museums in DC, this one is the most kid friendly for little kiddos and for big ones too. I think the silliness that ensued at the Air and Space Museum was our brains' way of counteracting the dark start to our day. To put it in simple terms, we had FUN. Tears rolling down our cheeks from laughter kind of fun. We didn't learn a thing about airplanes or the space program, but that's okay. The museum served it's purpose for us.



No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails