Tuesday, June 9, 2009

The presentation that never happened


I am soooooooooo verrrrrrrry mad right now. SO. VERY. MAD. Today was supposed to be my thesis presentation and defense. Did it happen? NO! And why, you ask? Because my thesis chairperson forgot about it and left for the day. As the other two members of my committee, the department chairperson, and other faculty members and students sat waiting for me to being, my editor announced that unless the chairperson is there, the presentation cannot happen because that person's opnion holds more weight than the other members of the committee. I stood there stunned just repeating, "You are kidding, right?" No, she wasn't kidding. The department chair agreed and that was it. No presentation for today. I would have laughed it off and said, "Oh well, that's just more time for me to get prepared. We'll reschedule." if this was the first time something like this happened. But nooooooo, it's not! In fact, my chairperson was very late to two meetings, forgot that SHE scheduled a time to meet with me individually, completely missed another review without saying a word to anyone, and then she went and pulled this little trick. I couldn't bite my tongue any longer. I gave my thesis class professor/editor an earful and told her that I refused to babysit my chairperson. I can only send so many reminder emails, pass reminder notes to her through my classmates that are in her class, call her desk when she's supposed to be in a meeting, and track her down in person so many times. I am so sick of SCAD's professors and administation telling us, "you are in graduate school and you need to be responsible for yourself." There are so many instances I can think of that no matter how prepared I was, something went wrong because of bad information or lack of internal communication. Just get me out of here!!!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails