Originally Posted:
Thursday, March 29, 2007
2:40:00 PM CDT
Feeling Happy
Hearing The microstation teacher talk about toolbars. Classrooms without walls is not the best idea.
Remember PITA from last summer? As I was leaving the SBA (School of Building Arts) building last night, I heard that all too familiar booming deep voice and saw a short, Grizzly Adams-esque looking person standing at the end of the hall talking to another guy. I was sure it was PITA, but it did not look like him because of the new unruly mask of facial hair he is now sporting. I slapped him on the back as I walked by and he got all excited to see me and told me that he is there on Mondays and Wednesdays so I will be seeing him around. Oh, jeez! What have I done? I have opened the door to another quarter of PITAman.
The highlight of my day came from making brick from scratch in Photoshop. My teacher is Crazy with a capital C. I mean bad crazy, not good crazy. She is all over the place when explaining things, screws things up so bad because she skips the steps of her own instructions (we had to trash our brick files three times and start over because she could not figure out where she went wrong), and has a tendency to say, “I cannot figure out what you did wrong. Just watch your neighbor.” So, after a roller coaster of a class, I’m mighty happy with my homemade brick texture file that I made without her assistance. It is a thirty-two step process that I hope to not use too frequently.
SCAD’s Career Week is taking place right now and as a requirement for IDLU (Interior Design Learning Units) we have to attend three extra-curricular events during the quartersuch as this. I attended a USGBC meeting (US Green Building Council) on Monday night (boring!!!!) and spent 2 ½ hours at the career fair this morning. Crikey! They have big names come in seeking SCAD graduates and interns!!! There were over 120 companies set up from all disciplines. I met with people from Gensler, HOK, Callison, Perkins + Will, OPX, and Wimberley Allison Tong and Goo. I wasn’t sure what to expect, but it was very positive. I had to explain that my portfolio is more bare bones than the fancy dog and pony show the SCAD students come equipped with, but no one I met with seemed to care and even said that my portfolio was very strong and just what they were looking for. Gold star for me!! The architect I met with at HOK was writing notes about me right and left. Hopefully one of these contacts will possibly lead to a Summer 2008 internship. Wonder if the Honolulu office of WATG is needing an intern? Wouldn’t that be dandy! I'll start practicing my hula dance now. Maybe I'll work up to adding torches and flaming fire balls into the dance like the professionals do. Or not.
This entry has 2 comments:
#2 Comment from tracypace
3/31/07 8:30 PM
Fate? No. A not so funny joke. Yes.
#1 Comment from ssflener
3/30/07 8:02 AM
No, no not PITA. Could it be fate?

No comments:
Post a Comment